Badagry is a coastal town which lies between the city of Lagos and the border of the Republic of Benin, Seme. It is a historic town that is symbolic of Nigeria’s journey to independence. The town was a major slave port and market on the West African coast, exporting no fewer than 600,000 African slaves to America.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Ultimate
Group Size Large Group
Badagry is a center for tourist attraction where people from far and wide come to explore its momentous sites, interesting landscapes, cultural artifacts and relics from the slave trade era.
Badagry was founded around 1425 A.D. Before its existence, people have been living along the Coast of Gberefu, which later gave birth to Badagry. Fishing, Farming, salt making from ocean water; were the main occupation of the people.
The natives believe that Badagry was founded by a famous farmer called ‘Agbedeh’ who lived at Gberefu Sea Beach and maintained a farmland across the lagoon in the present Badagry. ‘Greme’ means farm in Ogu language and the people who visited Agbede’s farm, when asked, would say they went to ‘Agbedegreme’ meaning agbede’s farm. The word was later coined to Agbadarigi by the Yoruba settlers and was later corrupted to Badagry by the European slave merchants before the end of the seventeenth century.
The people of Badagry are heterogeneous. They are mainly Ogu of Whydah, Whra, Wheme and Ga/Ewe clans who migrated from the former Dahomey and Awori-Yoruba who are descendants of Oduduwa of Western Nigeria. The traditions of these natives are assimilative and congenial which enhanced the settlement of European slave traders and missionaries alike.
Slave trade started in the ancient town around1473 by a Portuguese slave merchant named Ferman Gomez who commenced the sales of slaves to Europe.
Traditionally, Badagry is divided into eight quarters and each is organized under a White-Capped Chief. However, Akran is the paramount ruler and King of the town.
Tour Services includes:
- Transportation (Airport pick-up/return and tour)
- Accommodation – Fams Embassy Suites.
- Feeding – Two Course Meals and Buffets
- Border Protocols
- Tourist sites fees.
- Tour guide fee
- Administrative charges
- Tour and trekking guide for the entire journey
- Swimming pool.
- Welcome Party.
- The Exclusive White Night (Departure Eve Party)
- Complementary SIM card
- Cultural performance
- Beach Picnic / Burn fire
- French/Arabic speaking tour guides available
- *Conditions apply.
- Travel insurance and other emergencies
- Visa fees and entry clearing fees
- Single room accommodations
- Liquors, beer, and bottled beverages
- Photography accessories like cameras etc.
Arrival at Location
- Checking in at hotel
- HERITAGE TOUR. PART 1.
- Picnic at Whispering Palms Resort, Iworo.
- Pool party or Clubbing (optional)
Scenic Tour of City
- Visit to the remaining tourist attractions in Badagry.
- Visit to the boundary – Nigeria/Benin borderline.
- Burn fire at Ar-Rakhab or Suntan Beach Resort.
- Last minute shopping at Agbalata market.
- Checking out of the hotel
- Depart Badagry for Lagos.
We have five categories of accommodation namely
- 31 units Superior rooms (5×6 bed)
- 4 units CityView rooms (5×6 bed)
- 10 units FAMS Suites (6×6 bed), and 5 units Executive Suites (Two units 5×6 bed).
- Complimentary breakfast for 1 person in the Superior or CityView rooms and two breakfasts for the FAMS & Executive Suites
- Swimming, gym
- VIP Bar
- Internet facility (150MB Daily)
- free entry to the club on club days
- 24 hours uninterrupted power supply
- Secure parking space, armed and effective security system.
- With a Conference hall that can accommodate 16-20 people.
Visit our website for further details
We are located in the ancient town of Badagry, Lagos State, which prides itself as the first town to have an upstairs building in Nigeria.
Badagry has the enviable attraction as the number one tourist destination in Nigeria, with abundant historical relics of the slave trade era and various colonial and missionary attraction complementing the serenity and natural beauty of the town.
Our unique location is a short drive to Seme Border, our international gateway to the Western African Countries of Benin Republic, Togo, Ghana and Ivory Coast, making the hotel a perfect choice for travelers coming into the country and also those leaving the country.
We also pride itself with the practice of providing the perfect gateway destination for tourism and fun seekers who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life to a serene environment of luxury and comfort.
For further details visit us at FAMS Embassy Suites
- MOBEE FAMILY SLAVE RELICS MUSEUM. Housing the Original Slave Chains used during the 16th century.
- FIRST STOREY BUILDING IN NIGERIA. Anglican Missionary House built in 1845.
- BADAGRY HERITAGE MUSEUM. Former District Officer’s Office built in 1863. Converted into a museum in 2002 and contains slave trade history collections.
- SERIKI ABASS SLAVE BARACOON. Built by Brazilian slave merchants in 1840.
- THE AGIA TREE MONUMENT. Where Christianity is first preached in Nigeria on September 24, 1842.
- VLEKETE SLAVE MARKET. A foremost and most popular slave market along West Africa and a Customary Court Established in 1502.
- GBEREFU PENINSULA -‘Point Of No Return’. A major Slave Route and Slave Port opened in 1473.
- WAWU PALACE CANNON GUNS. Presented by the Queen of England to support “Slave Abolition Campaign” in 1852 & the site where the Union Jack was first hoisted in Nigeria.
- THE SATO DRUM STATUE. Badagry Roundabout. The Second World Tallest Drum brought to Badagry in 1543.
- ST. THOMAS’ ANGLICAN PRIMARY SCHOOL. First Primary School in Nigeria. Founded In 1843.
- THE AKRAN PALACE. Palace of the Paramount ruler of Badagry Kingdom.
- DISTRICT OFFICER’S RESIDENCE. Constructed in 1870.
- WHISPERING PALMS RESORT.
- Q-BRAT ZOO.
- AR-RAKHAB BEACH AND HOLIDAY RESORT
- SUNTAN BEACH RESORT.
OTHER TOURISTS ATTRACTIONS ON SPECIAL REQUEST.
- AGBALATA MARKET. First international market in Nigeria.
- GEORGE FREEMINGO’S TOMB. A Portuguese slave merchant assassinated in 1620.
- NATIONAL HERITAGE SITE OF BURIED CANON GUNS.
- MANCHY 4 BOAT CRUISE. Boat ride on a Fifty (50) Sitter capacity suitable for meetings, receptions, and leisure with toilet, bar/restaurant, television, sound systems and fishing sports facilities.
- ILAJE FISHING COMMUNITY. A community based solely on habitual fishing.
- PERMACULTURE FOREST GARDEN. Nature trail on Gberefu peninsula.
- NIGERIA FRENCH LANGUAGE VILLAGE. An inter-university French centre.
- SEME BORDER. Most populated Nigeria-Benin Border.
- AQUATIC JUNGLE. Unique restaurants with entertainments in stationed airplanes.
While promising a hitch-free, fascinating and fun-filled experience on tour with us, our representative shall be willing to meet with you to fashion your package according to your style, taste, and length of stay. Immense appreciation for your anticipated positive disposition as we look forward to welcoming you soon.
- We save you the headache of how to start and end your tours and excursions successfully.
- We advise our tourists on bye-laws, culture, and tradition of the proposed site(s) or country.
- All you need to do is furnish us with information on where, when and aspired duration (hours or days).
- We provide you with a comfortable and interesting itinerary, suiting your wishes and requests.
- We render assistance on currency exchange of the proposed country to be visited.
- We create a friendly environment for our client throughout their stay and help in terms of language barriers.
- We help in providing daily language usage of different country’s lingua franca.
- We have able and knowledgeable Tour Guides to take you on amazing tours/ excursions/vacations.
- We provide you with good accommodation, hitch-free transportation, and a pleasant journey right from the commencement to the end of your journey including border protocols.
- DATE: we advise on a date chosen in accordance with the proposed site to be visited.
- TOURIST SITES: These are based on the request of clients and how beneficiary it can be to the tourist (s) such as Students, Medical Personnel, Civil Servants, Corporate Bodies, and Individuals.
- TRANSPORTATION: Depending on the client’s demand; such as land, air or water. But, we advise on best modes of transportation and we also take care of all border protocols such as Immigration- validation of traveling documents, Customs-validation of vehicle documents and luggage, NDLEA and other Security Agencies
- ACCOMMODATION: It is organized to suit our clients’ demand i.e Hotels, Lodges and Hostels.
- FEEDING: It is subjected to request from clients and on a conditional basis.
- Souvenir DVDs: collective video and photographs of activities on tour/excursion for all participants (terms and conditions apply).
- First aids facilities are provided on tours.
- Educational Excursions & Tours Round the Globe.
- Procurement of Admissions into Higher Institutions in Benin Republic and beyond / Course Adviser.
- Tourist Sites Consultancy.
- Translations & Interpretation.
- Consult / Organize Conferences, Symposia & Festivals.
- Event Management & Compere of Multinational Languages.
- Procurement of Visas & other Traveling Documents.
- Transports, Hotels & Hostels Reservations Round the Globe.
- Sales & Supplies of French Literatures & Textbooks.
- Contract Qualified & Seasoned French Teachers to Anglophone Countries.
- Language Coaching (Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, Esperanto, French, German, Japanese & Spanish).
- Printing Press / Publisher of News Magazines, Books, and Journals.
- Undertaker of Rental Services.